Fine Arts Commission Minutes June 12, 2012

Minutes of the Fine Arts Commission held on June 12, 2012.


Members present:       Susan Ackley                          Miryam Rojas                                    

Abbie Salt                                Michael Stock                        

David Traupman


Members absent:        Maria Echevarri Taddeo


Also present:               Jerry Estep, Recreation Director

                                    Leslie Rackl, Executive Assistant


The meeting was called to order at 6:20 p.m.


Mr. Traupman made a motion to approve the minutes of the May 8, 2012, meeting.  Motion seconded by Mr. Stock and unanimously approved.


Mr. Estep gave a financial report at this time. It was noted there is $2201 in the donation account and $995 in the Commission’s 2012 budget.


Ms. Rojas made a motion to use $795 from the FY ’12 budget to promote the Commission’s October events, $725 for advertising in the Egret flyer and $70 for brochures. Motion seconded by Mr. Stock and unanimously approved.


It was noted that the Commission will host the September Mayor’s Community Alliance meeting, since the June meeting was cancelled.


It was related that the Duke sculpture will be removed from Village Hall on June 26. John Clement will provide a replacement sculpture at a later time.


It was noted that the owners of the Dorsch Gallery live in Miami Shores; Ms. Ackley will contact them to see if they can provide suggestions for the 2014 Village Hall lobby exhibit. It was also suggested that the Miami Art League be contacted for their recommendations.


Discussion turned to a report on the 9/11 memorial. It was noted that $287 was raised at Memorial Day. A diagram of the 9/11 memorial was distributed. There will be a glass panel on each side, but it will not be totally enclosed. It will open to clean and for people to touch the memorial. The total cost for the memorial will be $14,000; $5,000 for the concrete slab, $5,000 for the glass enclosure and $4,000 for lighting and brass plaques. To date about $7000 has been raised. The installation date is scheduled for Sept. 8. Ms. Rojas suggested that an area be set aside around the memorial for donated bricks, as people may continue to donate after the installation. It was noted that the memorial needs to be encased for safety reasons. Mr. Stock made a motion to approve funds for the 9/11 memorial. Motion seconded by Ms. Salt and unanimously approved. It was suggested that pictures be taken of the memorial during the different phases of installation to encourage fundraising. Ms. Salt suggested a phone-a-thon to generate more money. Another suggestion was made to have an article in the Herald or Biscayne Times to encourage donations.


A suggestion was made for the Commission to donate art books to the library for Memorial Day.


Discussion turned to the October 13th event. The Commission will be sharing the 9800 block with the Miami Theatre Center. The theatre will have one table outside, but their activities will take place inside. The Commission will be able to use the Sandbox. The Commission will use the Toscana location to display the Photo Op pictures and four 10X10 tents will be set up for artists. Mr. Estep expressed concern for the artwork as well as the weather. It was noted that the artists will be responsible for their own setup with Recreation’s tents. A suggestion was made to contact the Red Bridge Gallery for possible artists; also have a call to artists.


Discussion turned to the January 2013 movie event. There will be no admission fee, but donations will be taken.


Mr. Estep said that budget preparations have begun and $3000 will be submitted to Council for the Commission’s FY 2013 budget.


Conversation turned to the 2013 Photo Op “Viva Miami Shores ‘A Moment in Time’”. It was noted that this may be confusing for photographers. Mr. Traupman will work on presenting a clearer explanation of the Viva Florida event. A suggestion was made to rename it ‘Viva Miami Shores’.


It was related that an organizational meeting was held for the Gallery Crawl Group; it was noted this group would like to be involved in the October 13th event.


Discussion turned to pins for Commission events. It was noted that the minimum order would need to be for 100 pins. The Commission decided to postpone further discussion on pins until a later time.


The meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.