The Brockway Library Story
Brockway Memorial Library first opened its doors in February 1949. The library owes its existence to the generosity of George A. Brockway, after whom it was named. Mr. Brockway, an industrialist who wintered in Miami Beach, contributed the funds to build the library. The land on which the library stands was donated by Bessemer Properties, which was under the direction of Roy H. Hawkins, General Manager.
The Miami Shores Story
On January 2, 2012, Miami Shores Village attained its 80th anniversary. The thriving community of today was incorporated on January 2, 1932. However, its history precedes incorporation. Miami Shores Village, on the shores of Biscayne Bay, was first settled in the early 1870s. The Sturtevants, the Barnotts, the Potters, the Sears, the Woods and the Hunts, were the names of some of the earliest homesteaders in the area.