LimeBike Memorandum of Understanding

September 11, 2018

Minutes of the Fine Arts Commission held on September 11, 2018. 

Members present:                Susan Ackley                       David Baker

Victor Bruce                          Madeline Haddocks

Miryam Rojas                        Michael Stock

Also present:                         Angela Dorney, Recreation Director

Leslie Rackl, Executive Assistant 

Brad Smith, Resident

The meeting was called to order at 6:05 pm.

Mr. Baker made a motion to approve the minutes of the August 14, 2018 meeting. Motion seconded by Ms. Rojas and unanimously approved. 

It was noted that the annual Commission report was well received by Council. 

Discussion turned to the sculpture park.  Mr. Bruce said permits have been received and the steel has been ordered.  RHR of Miami will be making the concrete pads for the sculptures. The opening celebration of the sculpture park will be November 11 from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm. Bob Bourne will host a wine bar.  Ms. Ackley suggested an Egret ad to announce the opening at a cost of $395.  Ms. Ackley also suggested guitarist Michel Gonzalez for the event.  Mr. Rojas said generators from vendors at the adjacent farmers market would interfere with live music.  Recorded music will be played instead. Mr. Bruce suggested setting up a tent on the south side to create an entrance to the sculpture park.  Ms. Rojas said a tent would block views of the sculptures.  Ms. Haddocks, Ms. Ackley and Mr. Baker agreed that a tent is not necessary.   It was suggested having an ad in the Village newsletter instead of an Egret ad. Ms. Rojas and Ms. Ackley will draft an ad, as well as a banner for the sculpture park.  Ms. Rojas discussed various plaque options.  Mr. Bruce noted that the pedestals are grey.  It was noted the plaque needs to be raised, not flat on the ground.  The names of the architect, contractor, engineer and the artist needs to be added to the plaque.  

Discussion turned to wrapping utility boxes. Possible locations include 95 St & NM Ave, 95 St & NW 2 Ave, 103 St  & NW 2 Ave, 111 & NM Ave and 111 St & NW 2 Ave.  Commission members will meet on October 9 at 6:00 pm to view the locations before the next meeting.  Ms. Ackley said artists Ernesto Kunde and Leonor Anthony are both receptive to their artwork being displayed on the utility boxes.  

Discussion turned to selecting dates for the Commission’s three concerts. Ms. Ackley said the price of the ‘moonlight’ has increased to $200.  Ms. Rojas made a motion to spend $200 on the ‘moonlight’ for the Moonlight Concert.  Motion seconded by Mr. Stock and

unanimously approved.  The dates for the concerts are January 11 for the Moonlight Concert, February 8 for the Fireside Concert and March 10 for the Spring Concert.  

Mr. Stock played music for the Commission to consider, including Gypsy voodoo band Tamboka and reggae band Artikal Sound System.  Mr. Stock will also contact Big Brass Band for the Spring Concert.  Ms. Rojas made a motion to allow Mr. Stock to hire the three bands for up to $1200 per concert ($1000/band and $200/sound & engineer).  Motion seconded by Mr. Bruce and unanimously approved.  Ms. Ackley volunteered to contact food vendors for the concerts. 

Discussion turned to the October library exhibit with Pamela Gonzalez. The draft of the invitation was shown to the Commission for any final corrections.  Mr. Baker said that the artist will provide the music for the exhibit. 

Ms. Ackley distributed a draft letter to the Commission requesting Commissioner Edmonson to fund the dance performance.  If successful, Ms. Ackley suggested that the Commission could also have a Summer Shorts program.  Mr. Stock made a motion to request $4500 from Commissioner Edmonson to fund the April dance performance.  Motion seconded by Ms. Haddocks and unanimously approved.   

Discussion turned to changing the name of the Fine Arts Commission to the Miami Shores Arts Council.  Commission members decided 4 (Mr. Baker, Mr. Bruce, Ms. Haddocks and Ms. Rojas) to 2 (Ms. Ackley and Mr. Stock) to proceed with a name change.  Ms. Rojas will draft possible logos to present to Council.  

The meeting adjourned at 7:55 pm.